Do you ever get those moments where you do or say something and be like “Oh shit, I am getting old!” ?
Yes, I get it, I’m not old, I am in my late twenties (eek). But those moments take me completely by surprise because I don’t realise my age. I don’t feel like a 27 year old. I do still feel 21 (except for when I go out out, then I do feel 27!)
When I was younger, I would always think that there would be a time when you got married, or bought your first home that your brain would just switch and be all like, adulty and grown up, and you would suddenly turn in to your mum (or dad if you’re a guy).
Yet here I am, married, with a mortgage, going through the selling and buying a house process and I am still waiting for my brain to go “ok now Jen, you’re a mature adult, let’s start thinking like one”.
So yep, there are definitely times where I do something or act a certain way and I would have to stop and say “woah, I am getting old!”…
1. When nothing excites you more than a night in with your hubby, drinking a G&T and listening to Kate Bush or David Bowie.
2. Or, when you organise a rare night out with your friends and you think you had better eat a substantial meal before having a drink, because eating is no longer cheating. Not eating is just stupid!
3. When you are buying more stuff for your home rather than for your wardrobe. “Ooh, look at that kitchen utensil/cushion/vase that I need in my life. Right. Now”.
4. Your home alone and instead of slobbing out on the sofa, you actually want to do household chores. Coz they ain’t getting done on their own!
5. You teach someone about bleaching their drains….you actually passed on cleaning wisdom rather than learning it from someone!
6. You want nothing more than to be able to host get togethers around your house and be the hostess with the mostesst!
7.You start going to bed early…9pm…whaaat!?
8. You begin to learn how to cook…from scratch…!
9. You become obsessed with how your home smells, so you buy reed diffusers, scented candles, and house spray things that go off every 30mins.
10. Your arguments with your other half are mainly centred around their clothes being every where or who’s turn it is to do the washing up.